Christmas Styling - Part 3

8.12.14

Today's Christmas styling post is all about decorating your mantle. If you don't have a mantle, you could apply the same decorations to a coffee table or sofa table, or any long, flat surface really. I was excited to decorate the mantle because we've never had a garland before. For my first ever attempt at a garland, I'm pretty happy with what I've done.

Personally, I think it is easiest to style a garland when it has been placed on the surface it is going to live on. I recommend this if you are planning on resting the items on the garland like I have. You don't have to do this, however, if you are going to secure everything onto the garland with hot glue.
The first thing you need to do when preparing your garland for decorating is fluff it. This means taking each individual branch and straightening it out. Next you should place your ribbon. Make sure that you use a ribbon with wire in it as it is a bit more forgiving and easier to work with. Layering multiple ribbons of different colours on the garland would also look really nice. I've simply placed the ribbon on the garland and held it in place by wrapping two branches around it every 30 or so centimetres.
Note that I have placed most of the shiny baubles towards the back of the garland to add more depth - this draws the eye from the front of the garland to the back.
If you buy white letters, you can paint them any colour you want. But I do recommend painting them a colour you are going to incorporate into your colour scheme year after year, so you don't have to spend money on new letters each Christmas.
  • Garland - koch.com.au
  • Letters from Typo - these are white letters that I painted gold and I used a makeup sponge to create a stippled effect
  • Pinecones - found in the hills
  • Baubles - gold and silver
  • Picks & Clips - koch.com.au and The Reject Shop
  • Ribbon - I'm in love with the texture of this silver fishnet ribbon I found at The Reject Shop
Check out my other Christmas posts:

Thank you to Vanessa for taking these photos. Check out more of her photography on her blog.