Wide Awake Silver & Brown Makeup Tutorial

11.10.14


At this stage of fashion week, I was pretty exhausted. The long hours and late nights had started to catch up with me - I'm just not a night owl - and I was looking pretty wrecked. Concealer alone was not going to be enough to make me look awake and present. So I needed to turn to the decades-old trick of light eye shadow at the centre of the eye with darker eye shadow on both sides to make the eye look more open. But I wanted to re-invent this method by using different colours than I usually would and adding a bit of sparkle. And this is what I came up with.

I don't think I actually noticed how wide awake my eyes looked until I looked back on photos. This technique definitely does work, and of course you can change up the colours to suit you.

1. As per usual, prime the eye area with your eye primer of choice.
2. After you've fixed your brows, apply a matte shade to the brow bone.
3. Sweep a warm brown shade through the crease, making it as intense as you prefer.
4. Take the same brown shade and pat it onto the inner and outer third of the lid.
5. Do the same on the lower lash line and smoke it out with a fluffier brush.
6. Now take a silver eye shadow and pat it onto the lid, focusing mainly on the centre. Then you'll want to gently blend the brown and silver together at the edges to achieve a nice, blended effect.
7. Apply the silver shadow to the centre of the lower lash line and, again, ensure that it's blended where the brown meets the silver.
8. Tightline with a black or brown pencil eye liner. I also added a thin line of brown eyeliner with an extended tail. Note that if you are adding liner, you want the line to be as thin as possible so it doesn't take away from the eye shadow which is going to give you that wide-eyed effect.
9. To make your eye pop even more, add white or nude eyeliner to the waterline.
10. Apply mascara and/or false lashes.

I paired this eye look with a fuchsia lip and reflected that in the cheeks by using a watermelon blush. You can easily adjust both the lip and eye colours to suit for day time or go even bolder for night.

Products Used
Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation & Concealer
Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Soft Matte Bronzer
Zuii Organic Blush
Starlooks Champagne Palette
Maybelline Eye Liner Pencil
MaxFactor 2000 Calorie Mascara
E.L.F. Studio Eye Brow Kit (I also used the gel as eye liner)
E.L.F. Clear Eye Brow Gel
Maybelline Colour Sensational Lip Colour in Fifth Ave. Fuchsia
Rimmel London Apocalips Lip Lacquer in 102 Nova

I hope you love this makeup as much as I do. I'd love to hear your tips and tricks for making your eyes appear larger - leave them in the comments below.