Inner Beauty #3 - Embracing Opportunities When You're An Introvert

22.10.14


I am absolutely in love with this quote. It's one that I've really come to relate to in the last few months, particularly since turning 21. I think it sends a really great message - don't let fear hold you back from achieving your dreams.

I have always been an incredibly timid and private person. I never spoke to a lot of people. I hardly ever spoke in class. I only had a few close friends. I preferred, and still do prefer, solitary activities over working in a team. By the time I was in high school, I found social situations outside of the school environment overwhelming and exhausting. I dreaded going to parties, and school formals were even more awkward. Not to mention that I would over-analyse every single encounter that I had with another human being. By my senior years, I finally found the word that described my personality perfectly - introvert.

This was something I was occasionally criticised and bullied for as I was mistaken for being "unfriendly" and "snobby". Looking back, I can hardly blame people for having this viewpoint because I definitely think my personality is a contradiction in itself. On the one hand, I can hardly carry out a conversation and become uncomfortable when people ask me questions about myself. On the other hand, I am at ease performing on stage with only a microphone and/or piano between myself and the audience, all eyes on me. Or when I make a statement with my makeup or outfit.

"So what does this have to do with the quote?" I hear you ask. The short answer to that is that my shyness and introversion probably have held me back from doing some of the things that I've wanted to do. Or perhaps it would be better to say that they haven't allowed me to fully enjoy or appreciate key life events. At times, they've made me feel self-conscious and care too much about how people may perceive me. They have made me terrified of certain situations. Yet, they also made me find comfort and self-confidence in the strangest of places where introverts don't typically reside, in creativity - music, makeup, fashion...

Now, at 21, I'm still not a social butterfly. But at the same time I feel this new sense of confidence and I think I've finally started to come out of my shell, always ready to embrace new opportunities. I never thought I would have done as much event volunteering as I have this year, not with my quiet nature. Nor did I think I'd be going back to school to study interior decoration. Things have been changing this year and I know that it's all for the better.

Basically, what I want you to get out of this post is this - don't let an amazing opportunity pass you by just because you're scared of the challenges that may come with it. It's okay to be nervous. But everything happens for a reason and you've been given this chance for a reason. Take it, embrace it; don't overthink it. You never know what great things could come from it. And in the end, it will make you a better person because you'll learn so much about yourself and you'll watch your confidence grow. Never change who you are, just put in a bit of extra effort and try something new or different - what do you have to lose? Life's too short not to embrace what it puts in your path.

(Any other introverts out there?)