My Top 5 Lipsticks For Winter

18.6.14

L to R: Lilac, Plum Velour, Raisin Rage, Cha Cha Cherry, Spicy Pink

Some of you reading the title of this post are going to be like "What? Winter lipsticks? But it's June?" Well, that's because we are in Winter - and a pretty pathetic Winter at that - here in Australia. So, in this post I am going to share with you my five favourite lipsticks to wear during the cold season. I've tried to cater for both ends of the spectrum, i.e. those who prefer to wear bold colours and those who prefer to keep it on the softer side. Please note that I have touched up these photos slightly in Lightroom and Photoshop to bring out the true colour of the lipsticks as the camera didn't quite pick this up.
1. Revlon Colourburst Lipstick - 001 Lilac
This lipstick is probably the one I turn to the most during Winter because it's not overbearing. It's a very understated colour that goes well with a multitude of looks. Some of you may be thinking "Lilac? Purple? Not my thing." But don't be fooled or daunted by the name. For me at least, this lipstick wears more on the pink side as you can see in the photo above. So, I'd say that Lilac is a cool pink with purple undertones. This lipstick applies very smoothly on the lips; it has a subtle shimmer which provides a satin finish.
2. L'Oreal Colour Riche Lipstick - 704 Spicy Pink
I apologise for this but I'm not sure that this lipstick is available in stores or online as I bought it on Ozsale a while ago and assumed it was a discontinued product though I could be wrong. This lipstick is quite similar to the Revlon shade above yet with a stronger pink tone. The pigmentation is also a lot stronger which makes Spicy Pink a bolder choice. I love that the lipsticks from this range have a little collagen triangle in the middle of the lipsticks to help achieve a plumper and fuller lip. This lipstick is very creamy and lasts well throughout the day.
3. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick - 626 Cha Cha Cherry
Okay, I know some people associate red lipstick with Summer but I completely disagree. I think red lipstick and Winter are a match made in heaven - anyone else with me on this one? Cha Cha Cherry featured in my matching lips and nails post from ages ago. I feel that this lipstick looks different depending on the light; it seems like it has a more blue undertone in the above photo but at other times it's more orange and warm. Regardless, I love this red because it too is extremely creamy and pigmented.
4. Revlon Super Lustrous - 850 Plum Velour
I'm going to be 100 per cent transparent here and tell you that I actually hadn't worn Plum Velour or Raisin Rage (below) before photographing for this post. They are only recent additions to my lipstick collection but I wanted to feature them both in this post because they are perfect Winter shades. Plum Velour is, well, a gorgeous plum shade. This shade is bold, so it is definitely for the daring and I have to say it's certainly out of my comfort zone. But I love it on and it will surely be one of my go-to's this Winter. These swatches all have a shiny finish because I wore a lip balm underneath but this one in particular has a shiny finish.
5. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick - 630 Raisin Rage
Last, but not least, is my other newbie which is a strong red-brown colour. Like Plum Velour, I had concerns as to how this lipstick would look on me but again, I was pleasantly surprised. I can see this shade being paired with a very light, neutral eye and lots of lashes. Raisin Rage has a creamy finish and is ridiculously pigmented; this is only one coat and it is so opaque.

I hope this post is helpful to you or will be helpful in future. I haven't been a fan of many Revlon products but I think their lipsticks are amazing.

Thank you to my sister who took these photos. We will hopefully get better at photographing swatches - the lighting was not in our favour this time - but I don't think they came out too badly for a first attempt. Any hints or tips would be much appreciated though.

Are there any other lipstick shades that you think I should try for Winter?