Blush & Contour - Part 1

14.6.14

Today's post is going to be the first of a two-part series about blush and contour, and highlighting will probably also come into this as well. Part 1 is going to be about the brushes I use to apply my blush and contour.
Sigma F05 Small Contour - $18
This brush has a rounded, dense top. It is specifically designed for contouring, particularly the cheekbones and jawline.

This is my favourite brush for when I want a really strong and defined contour, which is usually when I'm sporting an up-do. However, I do also use this to apply blush. Because it is a small brush, it allows you to achieve really good product placement and you can get into the cheekbones very well.

The con of a small brush is that you can end up with harsh lines. To avoid this, you need to gently blend where you've contoured with your foundation brush. If this washes out too much of the colour, you can always go back and build it up. But remember to always blend, blend, blend!
Sigma F10 Powder/Blush - $21
The F10 has a very soft and slightly beveled finish. This brush allows for the precise placement of blush, which is what I use this brush for. But it also provides a less defined contour than the F05. (Generally, I use the same brush to contour and apply blush.)

This brush applies product well and there isn't much need to blend with a foundation brush. It's a really nice brush to use for an everyday makeup look.
Sigma F15 Duo Fibre Powder/Blush - $23
The Duo Fibre has a fibre blend with deep beveled edges. It is intended for soft application of powder  and mineral products, and generates a diffused blush application.

I purchased this brush so I could get an overall airbrushed finish in conjunction with my Sigma Duo Fibre foundation brush. But I didn't anticipate how diffused application would actually be. So, out of the brushes I'm mentioning in this post, I recommend this one the least unless you are looking for a super subtle application.

This brush does, however, provide an airbrushed finish, so it works well in conjunction with duo fibre foundation brush. Just keep in mind that you will probably need to build up the colour if you are looking for a more prominent contour and blush though.
Sigma F40 Large Angled Contour - $19
The F40 is angled with soft and rounded edges, and is used to softly contour the cheekbone. It can also be used to apply blush.

This brush makes contouring so easy because it is angled, so I recommend this brush if you are a beginner or new to contouring. I had no idea what I was doing when I first started contouring and applying blush but I feel like this brush helped a lot. I think that's because it is almost impossible to go overboard with product when using the F40 and it provides a soft but defined contour, more so than the F15.

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed in Sigma for increasing the prices of these brushes. They certainly weren't this expensive when I purchased them almost a year ago. Of course, they are still a lot cheaper than other brands - e.g. MAC - but I feel like if it keeps going the way it's going, Sigma is going to start to lose customers, if it hasn't already.

But I do adore these brushes and I think they're good quality as I haven't had too many problems with shedding and so forth. I'll probably start to look for alternative brands in the future though. So, if you have any suggestions, please leave them in the comments below.

You can purchase these brushes from sigmabeauty.com or redefiningbeauty.com.au if you live in Australia.

Stay tuned for Part 2 where I will be talking about blush application and how to contour.