Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream

12.4.14


I am so excited to be bringing you this review on Clinique's Moisture Surge CC Cream today. This product was featured in my everyday hot weather makeup post but now I feel I have used it for long enough to give quite a detailed review on it. I have not been a fan of Clinique products in the past - I have tried cleansers, scrubs, moisturiser, foundations and mascaras which all left me disappointed. But I decided to give the CC Cream a try after seeing it advertised on TV and researching the ingredients to find there are no pore-clogging nasties in it. I was seeking a BB or CC cream for the warmer months because they don't feel heavy on the skin. Yet after the Garnier fail I wasn't all that hopeful that I would find what I was looking for: a lightweight and non-acnegenic product with a decent amount of coverage. Let's start by taking a look at the product information.
Clinique claims its CC cream:
  • Has SPF 30
  • Is hydrating
  • Is a colour corrector
  • Has been allergy tested
  • Is 100 per cent fragrance free
Next-generation perfecting formula delivers colour correction, hydration and UVA/UVB protection for a more flawless look today and tomorrow - all with a refreshingly lightweight feel. Special optics help correct dullness, sallowness and other concerns to enhance skin's radiance. In shades that provide natural-looking coverage. Wears comfortably alone or under foundation. Oil free.
 From enclosed pamphlet:
What's so different about Moisture Surge CC Cream? 
This next-generation perfecting formula is an instant morning routine. In seconds, our ultra-lightweight formula delivers colour-correction, protection and all-day hydration. Our special optics help correct dullness, sallowness and other complexion concerns to enhance skin's natural radiance. We added Moisture Surge hydration and a UVA/UVB sunscreen to take care of skin's future. So your skin not only looks like the picture of health...it is. 
Why colour-correcting optics? 
One day, you'll notice your skin looks 'different'. Our guiding dermatologists say it's because skin's undertones keep changing. So our lab created special 'CC' optics to change them back. Here's how: tiny lavender beads work wonders with light, turning any yellow into a peachy glow, brightening what's dull or ashy, banishing red. So your skin looks smooth, luminous, perfected today while it's protected tomorrow. 
Who should use it? 
Oil-free hydrating formula is appropriate for all skin types. Available in a range of shades for natural-looking coverage 
How to use it? 
This versatile formula wears comfortably alone, or under foundation. Mornings, apply to clean skin after 3-Step Skin Care and treatment serums. Smooth evenly over entire face, or just to areas of concern. For gentle, efficient removal, use any Clinique makeup remover.
This CC cream costs $45 here in Australia, so I do recommend heading to your nearest Clinique counter/seller and picking up a sample of a couple different colours - or getting colour matched - in order to make sure you like it before purchasing a full-size bottle. My sample pot lasted about eight uses. I chose the shade "Light" which is a tiny bit darker than I would normally wear but I was afraid "Very Light" was going to make me look too pasty and washed out. I don't plan on using this product in Winter, so with a nice glow or bronzed neck and chest in Summer I think I can get away with it. In this way, one of my criticisms is that the colour range is small in Aus with only four shades compared to eight in the US. Some of you may have no choice but to mix two colours together to create the perfect shade.

I'm loving the packaging which is classic Clinique with its mint green box, and a soft salmon pink shade for the bottle. The bottle has a twisty cap which keeps things relatively neat and clean, and this type of packaging is the most hygienic in my opinion. The only downside is that if you squeeze out too much, there is no way of getting it back in. So, I would suggest squeezing out a little bit at a time.

The product itself has a very creamy texture and consistency. I would say that it is thicker than most moisturising lotions and isn't runny at all. Clinique recommends using your hands to apply it but I like to use a brush. For the best application, I use Sigma's F88 Flat Angled Kabuki - it's a bit difficult to blend out with this brush but it provides the best coverage. I do not recommend using a duo fibre, unless it is quite dense, or a beauty blender. This CC cream does have a scent but it is mild and rather fresh. It feels comfortable on the skin - it doesn't feel heavy and there's no tightness.

In terms of coverage, I would say that it is medium and buildable but with a natural finish despite Clinique's claim that CC creams have a sheer or light coverage. It covers the minimal acne marks I do have and minor blemishes or imperfections just as well as my favourite foundation does, which you can read about here. The product lasts very well through heat, humidity and sweat, and I'd say it is water-resistant but not waterproof. When I take it off at the end of the day, my skin feels really smooth and silky. So, I would say the product reflects the name.
Well, I think I've said all I need to say about Clinique's Moisture Surge CC Cream. I absolutely adore it and will continue to use it during hot weather. It certainly hasn't disappointed and is great to use for a natural daytime look.

Have you tried this product? What are your thoughts on it?