Maybelline Colour Tattoo Eye Shadow

22.2.14

I know I'm about a million years behind everyone else in buying/reviewing these shadows but I think there can never be too many reviews and swatches on one product in the beauty bloggersphere. So, here I am with the Maybelline Colour Tattoo cream eye shadows. If you've been keeping up with my posts (which I hope you have been) you would have seen that I picked these up at Chemist Warehouse for half price at $5.97. From the colours there, I thought these three best suited my eye colour, which is green. But all of them were stunning, and there's definitely something for everybody in terms of the colour range.
Painted Purple is a bright true purple. It has a slight shimmer to it but not to the same extent as the two shades below.
Bold Gold is a warm gold with a lot more shimmer than the purple shade above.
Inked in Pink is a rose pink which is not as shimmery but rather more glossy. 

Of the three, I feel that Bold Gold applies with the least amount of difficulty and most evenness. It's a really gorgeous shade of gold and is very glitzy. Inked in Pink is also stunning but I found it was a bit hard to get an even coverage. As you can see from the photo above, Painted Purple swatches unevenly. It looks patchy and is not very flattering. Overall, it is the worst of the three in terms of application and pigmentation.

None of them give me the coverage or opacity I want by themselves, even with an eye primer. I can't really say how long they last on the eye before creasing or fading  because I always layer another shadow over it. In this way, these eye shadows work well as bases. 

I find the product too dense to be picked up with a brush, so I have to use my pinky to swipe the shadows over the lid, which means I can't be as precise as I would like. If you have any tips on how to apply these, or a brush that works with these shadows, please leave a comment below.

I would not buy Maybelline's Colour Tattoo Eye Shadows in future. If you're looking for subtle glam, these may be for you. But I personally don't think the quality is worth the price (and I didn't even pay full price to begin with). From the name itself, I was expecting shadows that would be really pigmented with good coverage. As nice as the colours look in their pots, I've been left disappointed. Overall, I find them difficult to work with and the colour payoff is less than ideal.

Have you tried this product? What are your thoughts?