Masterpiece Max Waterproof Mascara

8.2.14

Frame your eyes with beautiful, striking lashes. Our high-tech IFX brush evenly coats lashes giving superb definition and separation.
Product details
Five times more striking vs. bare lashes based on lash volume, count, contrast area and visibility.
  • High-tech IFX brush coats lashes right to corners of eyes.
  • Great choice for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers.
  • Waterproof for lash confidence whatever the weather.
I received the Masterpiece Max Waterproof Mascara as a gift from my mum for Christmas and my first impression of this product is that it is an okay mascara but certainly not a great mascara. The first time I used it was for my shimmery eye makeup look (please note that I used an eyelash curler). I love the way that it lengthens and separates my lashes, especially the lower lashes. This is obviously due to the brush, which is thin with short bristles, allowing you to get close to the lash root and meaning you won't accidentally get mascara on your eye lid. It also makes coating the lower lashes evenly an easy task. But this is where the love stops.

The formula is quite wet, which is not a positive or a negative but rather an adjustment considering I've been using a dry mascara for quite some time now. As a result, it does make the lashes appear glossy when first applied. As mentioned, I love the way it makes my lower lashes look but it just doesn't provide enough volume for my upper lashes. I love mascaras that give the perfect combination of length and volume and this product doesn't deliver in this area.

I haven't had too much of a problem with flaking but I definitely have with smudging. When I used it for the first time, there was minimal flaking and smudging even at the end of the day and after a good 10 hours of wear. I was pretty content. This changes for me when I wear it in warm to hot weather. As I arrived home after a trip to the city a couple days ago, there was noticeable smudging underneath my eyes - not a good look!
Smudged mascara is one of my makeup pet peeves, so after doing some research I have discovered that my problem is a slightly oily eye area, which means I don't necessarily need a waterproof mascara because my oils are breaking down the mascara and it's landing on my skin, resulting in raccoon eyes. I don't often cry while wearing makeup, or go swimming, or get rained on... So, I am now on the search for a solely smudge proof mascara. If you have any recommendations for a reasonably priced one, please leave a comment below.

Overall, there is a little too much spiderleg lash and raccoon eye happening for me, so I will not be repurchasing this mascara. I'll more than likely be keeping this for the cooler months, which will hopefully prevent some of the smudging.

What is your favourite, or least favourite, mascara?