NYX High Definition Eye Shadow Base

4.12.13

Prep your eyelids with this lightweight eye makeup primer that makes skin appear smoother, more even toned, and ensures lasting makeup application. The High Definition Eye Shadow Base conceals creases and pumps up the vibrancy of your eyeshadow.
Let me start off by saying that I have never used an eye primer. Ever. The only product I have ever used to prep my lids is concealer. I didn't see the need to use anything else. But for a while, I noticed that my eyelids would get a little oily between the crease and lid which caused my eyeshadow to disappear - not a good look. 

I looked into a bunch of eye primers. The two main ones were by Too Faced and Urban Decay, which you have probably heard of and are pretty pricey here in Australia (from almost $30 and beyond) for a tiny tube. Sure, the reviews on these two brands were mostly positive but I'm all about beauty on a budget at the moment, if you haven't yet noticed. Since I was already buying a few NYX products from Cherry Culture, I decided to do some reviews on its primers. These too were also very positive. But for $7, I was still cautious as I'm a big believer in getting what you pay for. After using this product though, I may have to re-think that mantra.
This product pleasantly surprised me, and I am so happy that I decided to buy it. When I rubbed the product into my hand after taking the photo below, it appeared quite shiny on the skin, so I was worried that it would make my eye lids even oilier. This was not the case when using it to prep the eyelids though. The consistency is slightly thinner than a concealer and, as you can see, the colour is a creamy, pasty skin colour but is almost non-existent when blended into the skin.

I use roughly the amount pictured below, placing it on my lid, crease, and brow bone as well as the inner corner and underneath my eye around the lash line with my Sigma concealer brush. A little goes a long way with this primer; I've read that if you do use too much of it, it won't dry on the lid and your lid will appear oily. As far as fulfilling its claims, I would say that this eyeshadow base does make the eyelids appear smoother. My eye makeup does not budge and looks as fresh at the end of the day as it did when I first applied it; it is truly impressive. I haven't noticed that my skin tone appears more even after applying the base, and at this point I also can't say that it makes eyeshadows more vibrant as I haven't used those colours without this primer.
My only complaint about this eye primer is the packaging. Sure, it's cute and all but the black makes it impossible to see how close you are to the end. The size seems similar to my concealer, so I can see it lasting me about a year but with everyday use, maybe half that time. The packaging will not prevent me from buying this primer in future.

For such an inexpensive product, I am beyond satisfied with it. Ladies, it will change your life makeup application forever - you should not have to go without primer ever again because this is such a cheap and effective option. No, I don't have anything to compare this eye shadow base to. But I don't need anything else because I am absolutely in love with this one. So, what are you waiting for? Go and get yourself some NYX High Definition Eye Shadow Base right now.

Do you love NYX's eye primer as much as I do? What is your favourite eye primer?