The Beauty Blender

24.11.13

The Beauty Blender is an egg-shaped makeup sponge invented by Hollywood makeup artist Rea Ann Silva and designed to give you a professional finish and flawless complexion. It is latex-free, hypoallergenic, and odourless. The pointed side is intended for use around hard-to-reach places of the face, such as around the nose and mouth, and under the eyes. The rounded side is used for larger areas of the face. The Beauty Blender should be used wet, and expands up to double its size when damp as you can see in the image below. The sponge comes in three colours: pink, white and black.

I use the Beauty Blender with my Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation and concealer. I wet the sponge under the tap and dry it with a tissue, both with a squeezing motion. I dab my foundation and concealer randomly on my skin and blend using the Beauty Blender. Because it is damp, I find that it dilutes my foundation a bit and doesn't quite give me the coverage I desire. I feel that for someone looking for full coverage this product may not be for you, or you will need to go back in with more foundation or concealer, possibly with a brush. But if you're looking for a light to medium coverage, you will be pleased with this sponge. As far as blemishes go, I also don't think the Beauty Blender is amazing at covering them. Though the pointed side is intended for hard-to-reach places, I have found that it is still not small enough to reach those places even if I squeeze it to try and make it smaller.

For someone who is very conscious of bacteria, the Beauty Blender (and all sponges for that matter) isn't the most hygienic of makeup tools. I have to be very careful about what I touch before I pick up the Beauty Blender; I feel like I'm potentially blotting bacteria all over my face. Another downside to this product is washing it. There is a special cleanser you can buy but since I wash my brushes with baby shampoo, I figured I would do the same to the Beauty Blender. It is very difficult to get your makeup off the sponge and I, and others, have found that the sponge does stain. I have used this product twice on myself and once on someone else and have found bits of the sponge scattered around the face. Additionally, there is already a crack in the sponge, so this is bound to make this worse.

The only thing I like about the Beauty Blender is the finish; it provides an even application of foundation and concealer with a slightly airbrushed finish, yet I still think my Sigma duo fibre does a better job. 

The Beauty Blender is available at selected retailers, or you can buy it online. I purchased mine at Cherry Culture for US$28.95 (a double pack).

Overall, I am pretty disappointed with the Beauty Blender and am not likely to purchase again. I much prefer my Sigma brushes and would rather spend the money on Sigma, which I know is terrific. For me, the quality and my final makeup result do not align with the cost of the Beauty Blender. 

What do you think of the Beauty Blender? Do you have any tips for using it?