Maybelline The Falsies Everlasting Mascara

20.11.13


I've been using my Estée Lauder sample sized mascara for over a year now and decided I should probably by a new one. If you saw my Chemist Warehouse haul post, you would have seen that I bought the new Maybelline The Falsies Mascara. Maybelline claims that the formula is waterproof, smudge-proof, and flake-proof: everything-proof really. With a flexor fan-out blush, this mascara is supposed to give you 2x more visible lashes corner to corner and the multi-seal technology repels not only water, but oil as well. What more could a girl possibly want in a mascara? To use, you hold the brush with the spoon side against your lashes and sweep from root to tip. Repeat this until your desired look is achieved and do not let dry between coats.

My first impression of this mascara while taking photos for this post was already negative: what is up with the little wand hairs sticking up out of the brush? You can see these in the image below. I thought that I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, or in this case a mascara by its wand. But these hairs ended up all over my face when I used the product. Luckily, they were relatively easy to take off and didn't ruin my foundation. As you can also see in the photo, the brush is slightly curved: I hate it. I'm not sure if this has to do with my being used to non-curved wands but I found this almost impossible to use and wriggle my lashes at the root. It was also really bad at separating my lashes.
Now onto the formula. I have used a lot of cheap/drugstore/low-end mascaras over the years and I don't recall any of them coming close to being as bad as this one. The only way I can describe the formula is sticky and super drying. It clumped my lashes together, so between the formula and the brush, there was no separation, no length, and no volume. If it is meant to make your lashes look like falsies, then mine looked like the worst falsies in the world. Apart from being totally useless as an actual mascara, this product did smudge but even worse was the flaking which occurred under my eyes and on my brow bone. Also, every time I blinked my top lashes stuck to my bottom lashes. The only claim that this mascara fulfils is the waterproof one. Yet it was so difficult to take off and residue was left on my lashes for days: gross.

I have only used this mascara once and I feeling like throwing it away; I'm not sure it's worth another try. My year-old Estée Lauder mascara performs so much better than this mascara and I'll be going back to that one while searching for another I like the sound of. I certainly do not recommend this mascara.

Which low- to mid-end mascara is your favourite/least favourite?