Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion+

6.11.13


After hearing so many wonderful things about this moisturiser, I thought I would give it a try as part of my night time skincare routine. Clinique boasts that its Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion+ is its number one moisturiser. From what I understand this is version 2.0 with twice as many ingredients as the previous formula. Clinique states that this product will increase the skin's own moisture barrier by 54 per cent with more moisture staying in the skin leaving it feeling soft, springy and with a glow. At $29 for a 50ml tube and $49 for a 125ml bottle, it was the increase of the skin's own moisture barrier claim that sold me.
I would describe the texture of the product as custard-like except slightly thinner. It has absolutely no smell when first squeezed out of the tube but once I began applying it, it had a medicinal smell which I thought was a bit strange. How long this takes to absorb depends on how much is used; the first time, I used about half of what is pictured above and my skin just drank it but using about a pea size took much longer for my skin to absorb. What I also find strange is that it is intended as a daytime moisturiser but lacks any kind of SPF, and that is why I chose to use it at night.
I have used this moisturiser approximately four times since purchasing it and I am far from impressed. I don't understand the hype at all. I'm wondering if Clinique have PRs writing positive reviews on its website because I have absolutely no idea how 97 per cent of reviewers could recommend it when I've had a negative experience in such a short amount of time. My skin has been quite unpredictable in the last six weeks or so and I've had a few more spots than usual. But this product certainly hasn't helped the situation. While it did give me more of a glow and my skin felt slightly softer, it also gave me more spots and exacerbated the redness of my acne marks which generally look pale to almost unnoticeable. Though there is nothing comedogenic in it, my skin was telling me that it didn't like it. I have stopped using it on my face and will probably use the remainder as a body cream just to get rid of it.

All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't get the 125ml bottle because $29 is already too much to waste. I do not recommend this moisturiser and believe there are far better low- to mid-end moisturisers available. This moisturiser shows that the more expensive brands aren't always better or more beneficial. Sorry, Clinique, but DDML+ does not get my vote.

Have you tried this moisturiser? What is/was your experience like?