Estee Lauder Double Wear

16.10.13

If you've been reading my blog you would know that I (did) have problem skin. In addition to my battle with my skin, I struggled to find a foundation that would not exacerbate the situation. Drug store foundations just weren't cutting it and were riddled with comedogenic ingredients. While my Maybelline foundation at the time was not contributing to the problem, it highlighted my dry patches and didn't provide the coverage I required. Others I had used would either break me out, make my face look ridiculously shiny, or both. One day, mum suggested that I try a more high-end product - I mean, you get what you pay for, right? So, I first opted for Clinique. Cutting a long story short, this product too continued to break me out.

Enter Estée Lauder.

After doing extensive research, I came across Estée Lauder's Double Wear foundation. Labelled non-acnegenic on the website, a double check of the ingredients list proved this statement to be true. So, I headed down to Myer and was colour matched by a lovely girl who was also struggling with problem skin herself.

I was matched with the colour 1N2 Ecru. The N stands for "Neutral" - hooray, I'm not as pale as I thought. At this time, the product cost a ridiculous $70 but has since been reduced to $50, which is still a lot, I know. Your decision on whether or not to buy this all comes down to how much money you're willing to sacrifice to save you skin. But, hopefully, this review will have some influence as well.

I have nothing but good things to say about this foundation. It has SPF 10 with 15-hour staying power. Its natural semi-matte finish means that you won't look oily by the end of the day but rather nice and slightly dewy. I definitely feel like I'm not wearing anything with this foundation; I don't feel like I'm wearing a mask and it is extremely comfortable on the skin. The only time I experience discomfort while wearing Double Wear is when my face is on the dry side. This foundation also doesn't oxidise and stays on through heat and sweat, which means it will work for the warmer months as well.

I have read that some people have had break-outs while using this foundation but I haven't. I would say that the coverage is somewhere between medium and full. It doesn't cover every blemish or acne mark but when used in conjunction with the concealer (below), you are on your way to a flawless face.

How long this 30ml bottle will last you depends on how often you use it. My first bottle lasted seven to eight months. I am currently at the seventh month mark with my second and it doesn't seem like it will finish any time soon. But be sure to always buy a bottle just before you think you'll run out. It is difficult to see how much you have left but I tend to dip a toothpick in for an approximation.

Another criticism about this product is that it doesn't come with a pump, which means things can get a little messy around the neck of the bottle and in the lid. No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to keep the neck and lid free of foundation.

Now, concealer...
The Double Wear concealer is my lifesaver. At $33, it also has SPF 10 and 15-hour staying power and I use the 'Light' shade. Like the foundation, it feels lightweight and it doesn't budge in any conditions. Because it is a concealer, the consistency is obviously a lot thicker and creamier than the foundation.

This will cover everything. I have dark under-eye areas and this covers them perfectly. It disguises blemishes, acne marks, redness: it's amazing. Now I mostly use it for highlighting. Although it is not described as non-acnegenic, there are no acne-causing ingredients in this product.

My only criticism is the wand applicator. If you use it directly on your face, you are putting bacteria back into the product. Instead, I ensure that my hands are clean, place the product on the back of my hand and then use a finger or brush to put the product on my face.

I also don't like that, again, it is difficult to see how much product you have left. As a result, I have previously run out and been left to (literally) scrape the bottom of the barrel. The concealer did, however, last more than a year, which is pretty amazing. What's strange about the product is that it appears darker than the foundation in the swatch below, which I think is the result of reaching the end of the product.
L to R: foundation, concealer

I recommend this product to the acne-prone particularly, but anyone and everyone can use it. If you're a teen/student who thinks that it's quite a lot of money to pay for a foundation and concealer that is a rather small size, I can assure you that it will do wonders for your skin, it will last for months, and it is worth every penny.

What do you think of Estée Lauder Double Wear? Or do you use another brand that you love?

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS REVIEW IS BASED ON THE OLD FORMULATION
I cannot recommend the new formula to the acne-prone as it has pore-clogging ingredients in it.
I don't believe the new formula is sold here in Australia, so we do have the original formula but please check the ingredients yourself before you use it.
How do you know if it's the new or old formula? The new formula doesn't have 'SPF 10' written on the packaging or bottle while the old formula does.
UPDATE: 27/01/2015
I was going out of my mind trying to figure out whether or not Estee Lauder has changed the formula in Australia as I recently discovered that both the foundation and concealer have been changed in the US. So, I emailed EL directly last week, asking what the ingredients are in both products. This was the response:

FOUNDATION
INGREDIENTS: WATER\AQUA\EAU [] DIMETHICONE [] NEOPENTYL GLYCOL DIHEPTANOATE [] PHENYL TRIMETHICONE [] BUTYLENE GLYCOL [] PEG-10 DIMETHICONE [] POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE [] DIMETHICONE SILYLATE [] ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE [] POLYSILICONE-11 [] POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE [] HEXYL LAURATE [] CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE [] ANTHEMIS NOBILIS (CHAMOMILE) [] CAFFEINE [] SILICA SILYLATE (NANO) [] MAGNESIUM SULFATE [] CAPRYLYL GLYCOL [] TOCOPHERYL ACETATE [] PHENOXYETHANOL [] CHOLESTEROL [] SODIUM HYALURONATE [] ALUMINA [] SILICA [] METHICONE [] CITRIC ACID [] XANTHAN GUM [] HEXYLENE GLYCOL [] TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE [] SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE [] [+/- TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891) [] IRON OXIDES (CI 77492) [] IRON OXIDES (CI 77491) [] IRON OXIDES (CI 77499) [] MICA]

CONCEALER
INGREDIENTS: WATER\AQUA\EAU [] CYCLOPENTASILOXANE [] TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE [] PHENYL TRIMETHICONE [] BUTYLENE GLYCOL [] BORON NITRIDE [] SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE [] PEG/PPG-18/18 DIMETHICONE [] TRIBEHENIN [] MAGNESIUM SULFATE [] TITANIUM DIOXIDE [] TOCOPHERYL ACETATE [] SODIUM HYALURONATE [] ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN [] DIMETHICONE [] METHICONE [] LAURETH-7 [] GLYCERIN [] CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE [] PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE [] XANTHAN GUM [] ALUMINA [] TRISILOXANE [] DIMETHICONE SILYLATE [] SORBIC ACID [] PHENOXYETHANOL [] CHLORPHENESIN [] [+/- IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499) [] TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891) [] MICA]


I have checked each ingredient against my comedogenic/irritation list, and from what I can tell, they all pass the test. So, within Australia at least, I still definitely recommend EL Double Wear if you have acne-prone skin.

Sharon, the person who replied, said that within Australia the formulation of Double Wear products has not changed, only the colour classification has - which is true considering I used to be 1N1 Ecru, not 1N2 Ecru.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions I suggest you contact EL directly.