Velcro Rollers

26.9.13


I tend to not do much with my hair in the morning because it is long and I don't have much time as I prefer to focus on my makeup. So, I'm always on the hunt for quick and easy hairstyles. I came across velcro rollers while watching a carlibel55 tutorial and my hairdresser suggested that I use them on my last trip to the salon. A trip to Priceline was in order, and I returned with two packs of three 50mm velcro rollers at $4.99 each.

These certainly take a bit of getting used to in many different ways. The first time I used them I struggled to get the hang of twisting my hair around them, and they did absolutely nothing for my hair apart from turn it into a frizzy mess. If you're a klutz like me, you'll probably be smacking them into door frames, walls and the like while they're in your hair. Finally, trying to wash your face with these in can be a horrible task. The things we do for beauty!

I use these in freshly washed or dirty hair and they are effective in both, but slightly more in dirty hair. I use a straightener to heat the hair, texturising spray, and hairspray. Because I use these for volume, I only roll my layers. I start at the crown, do my left side, my fringe, and then my right side. I use one or two pins per roller to ensure they stay in place and then set with hairspray. I leave them in for the entire day and sleep with them, which can be uncomfortable at times. But leaving them in for that amount of time ensures that I get the result I want because I unfortunately don't have naturally voluminous hair. They stay in quite well and look like this by the morning:
Sometimes I find these a struggle to take out because the hair can get tangled around them. I don't usually have a problem with this but you still need to be careful when taking them out. Ideally, you want the hair to glide right through them. After, I spray with hairspray and add some more texturising spray. I will also back-comb my roots because there is no such thing as too much volume. With one last spritz of hairspray, this is the end result:
As you can see, there are some really nice flicks, and volume. I tried to take a better photo but dark hair is so hard to photograph. This one gives you a good idea of the outcome though. (For those who are interested, I thought I would mention that my hair is a half-and-half concoction of black and blue-black.) 

I definitely recommend velcro rollers, especially for those of you who may be time poor in the mornings. They surprisingly work well for me (and my dead straight hair), so I'm sure they would work for many different hair types. I do think you need short to medium length layers though. Practice makes perfect and their effectiveness is definitely a matter of trial and error. But leaving them in for as long as possible is key.

Have you tried velcro rollers? What type of techniques work for you?