Lip, Hand & Nail Care

11.9.13

There is nothing I hate more than dry hands, dry cuticles and dry lips. Any and all of these things look horrible and make me incredibly self-conscious, particularly dry hands which I am quite prone to as the result of sensitive skin. So, I thought I would share three products that I use and adore which tackle dryness.
Lips - Nivea Hydro Care
This product has been a lifesaver for my lips (a lipsaver?). With pure water and aloe vera, it provides long lasting intensive moisture and supports the lips' natural moisturisation process. I use this multiple times during the day, under my lipstick or gloss, and before I go to bed. Nivea claims it leaves your lips feeling smooth, soft and non-greasy due to its innovative light formula, and I definitely agree. It is super soothing to chapped Winter lips, and really is light: it doesn't feel heavy like a gloss or lipstick can. It can even be worn alone with makeup as it leaves a nice sheen on the lips for a natural look. What I also love about this product is that it doesn't break me out as other lip balms have done (thank you, Baby Lips). Zits around the mouth can be painful so I like to avoid them if I can. Maybelline's Baby Lips, while it had this effect, was also really good at moisturising, so I recommend these too. You can purchase Nivea Hydro Care from most chemists, supermarkets and Priceline for around $4.
Hands - Innoxa Intensive Hand and Nail Rescue
The range of Innoxa hand creams should be called "One & Only" instead of "One & All" because they are the only hand cream you will ever need. I have been using this one for over a year now and won't stop any time soon. My favourite thing about this product is that it is made for hands and nails. So, while your hands are on the road to hydration, your nails are also benefiting. Not heavily fragrant, this cream does not leave your hands greasy and absorbs quickly. I put this on every night before bed followed by my cuticle cream (below). Another hand cream I have used and loved was one by Dove; it left my hands feeling immediately smoother and moisturised. Mum is loving Vaseline's hand cream at the moment, which has also been helping her nails, so that might also be one to try in future. The hand cream that I absolutely hate is Sally Hansen's; it had so much fragrance and was nothing but irritating to my skin. You can purchase this product for $3.99 at Chemist Warehouse.
Cuticles - Burt's Bees Lemon Cuticle Butter
Ah, my beloved cuticle cream. Where would my nails be without you? I started using cuticle cream last year, and this is the only one I've used. This is my second one but the first one lasted for months. It has a really fresh lemony scent and the only way I can describe the texture is like a candle; it looks waxy in the tin. As you can probably tell from the photo, I scrape it out with my nail. I massage it into my cuticle for about 10 seconds and then move on to the next one. Doing this stimulates the blood flow in your nails, making them grow at a faster rate. So, if you don't want to play piano or type on a keyboard, which does the same thing, then this might be an easier alternative. You can pick up this cuticle cream for $14.99 at Priceline.

Well, there you have it, folks. This is how I keep my lips, hands and cuticles moisturised. Of course, in the colder months they're still not as smooth or soft as I would like them to be but they could definitely be a lot worse. For someone who has naturally sensitive and drier skin, like me, I think these products work pretty well.

What are your favourites?