Garnier BB Cream

14.8.13


I found out about this BB cream from Chloe Morello in one of her natural makeup tutorials on her YouTube channel but I have used a Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector before. I decided to try this one because I was so impressed with the coverage it gave her and I would prefer to use a BB cream in the warmer months because they feel lighter on the skin. I purchased the one for sensitive skin in the "light" shade at Coles for under $10 (it was on sale).

With an SPF of 15, it claims to:
  • Reduce redness
  • Soothe and provide 24 hour hydration
  • Correct blemishes
  • Even and illuminate the skin
The packaging also states that the product is dermatologically tested, non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic and fragrance-free.

Sounds just like, well, a miracle, right? Hmm. Maybe not...
I applied the cream with my Sigma duo fibre brush and found it was a little hard to spread. It's not impossible but I needed to work at it to make it look even. When I first put it on, it had a matte finish. I was beyond thrilled with its entire look and feel. The coverage was better than I thought it was going to be: it is more impressive than some foundations I've used, and I only required concealer to highlight. The colour was a bit dark for me but I sweeped some bronzer on my neck and chest, and it looked fine. I was truly in love.
By the end of the day, my opinion had drastically changed. I don't mind a dewy look but my face looked beyond dewy: it was so greasy and I don't even have oily skin. When I took it off, I noticed little bumps that weren't there before I applied the product (they weren't zits as such - it looked more like an imitation/chemically-induced acne or milia) but by the next morning, it had significantly cleared up. I'm 99.9 per cent sure the culprit was this BB cream. 
But I'm baffled as to how it could've been the cause of my "breakout". The highest comedogenicy rating was a two (stearic acid, palmitic acid, triethanolamine, cetyl alcohol) but anything under three won't do any harm to acne-prone skin. And then it occurred to me. Mineral pigments. Mineral ingredients (in makeup products) can be problematic for acne-prone skin. They can exacerbate oil and may subsequently cause pimples. Whether it happens as quickly as it did to me, I'm not sure. All I know is that this product did not agree with my skin. 

In addition to the bumps, about three hours after taking it off, I broke out in a hive-like rash along part of my jawline and the side of my cheek near the hairline. And this is a product for sensitive skin?

Another thing to note is that it comes off easily and although this means it can be washed off quickly, it's too transferable. 

The only positives about this product for me, aside from its coverage, are that my skin felt soft and hydrated after I cleansed and my mild redness was somewhat reduced. 

Swatches
I do not recommend this product to ANYONE, acne-prone or not. I really wanted to like it but I just can't and don't, not when my skin had such a terrible reaction.

If you have found a BB cream that you love, that isn't irritating to your skin and that doesn't break you out, please leave a comment below. I really, really want to find a good BB cream. Or, even on the other end of the scale, if you have had similar experiences to me, please let me know.

The next one I'm thinking of trying is the Smashbox one but am yet to do an ingredients check. Do any of you use it?